Saturday, January 28, 2012

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

2.5 Paws
Seen recently at Aksarben Cinema

I was warned going in that I had to concentrate to keep up with this cerebral thriller. That was a little like icing the kicker. I found myself distracted by the set design (I want a dumbwaiter, even though I have no secret files to transport) and the retro costuming (that's my kind of office Christmas party).

Now that I know how it ends, I'd like to watch it from the beginning again to see which clues I missed that pointed at the outcome. Although Gary Oldman got the Oscar nomination for his lead role, I was most impressed by three of the lesser-known actors in the all-star cast - Tom Hardy as Ricky Tarr, Benedict Cumberbatch (I'm not making this up) as Peter Guillam and Mark Strong (the bad guy in the 2009 version of Sherlock Holmes) as Jim Prideaux.

The moral of the story? It's never who they want you to think it is.

Bonus Bones: 4
Two for the two street dogs we see in the street scenes, and two for the black yapper who lives in the house where the traitor does his trading.

No comments:

Post a Comment