Monday, January 30, 2012

The Artist

3 Paws
Seen recently at Film Streams

Every once in a while, something magical happens on screen that defies the odds. Why - in this country, anyway - would anyone give a whit about a new black-and-white silent film whose best known cast members are Roseanne's husband and the "that'll do, pig" guy from Babe?

Jean Dujardin is nothing short of mesmerizing as George Valentin. He's part Gene Kelly in look and movement and part Jimmy Stewart in heart. His climactic scene reminded me of George Bailey's desperate moments in Giuseppe Martini's bar (I found tissues necessary). I'd love to see what he could do with dialogue.

Maybe I'm just a romantic. Maybe I was seduced by the costuming and set design. Maybe I needed a stunningly beautiful reminder about the potential of humans (and canines) to change the direction of a life. Does any of that matter? Go see it.

Bonus Bones: 25
Uggie's tricks are awesome, but his best moments are the quiet ones when he's just doing his companion thing (the recovery scene with George Valentin in Peppy Miller's home is incredibly sweet). Here's to a happy and healthy retirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment