Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Captain America: The First Avenger

3 Paws
Seen recently at Aksarben Cinema

There's a lot that's wrong with this country (political gridlock, obsession with celebrity death, conversion therapy), but this film reminded me about all that's right with it. The United States is a place where second chances are given, where boldness is revered, where the hope that anything is possible hasn't been stomped out - at least not yet.

I didn't know Steve Rogers, aka Captain America, got his start as a soldier, but it didn't matter. The script stood on its own, and the tone was absolutely perfect. It's one of the most inspiring "little guy does good" stories I've seen in some time. I knew Chris Evans (Steve Rogers) could be funny on film, but I didn't know he could be so compelling.

The supporting cast was four-star: Tommy Lee Jones (Colonel Chester Phillips) makes the most of his screen time by not overselling his one-liners, Hugo Weaving (the Red Skull) is an eerily good bad guy and Stanley Tucci (Dr. Abraham Erskine) gives the film its heart.

I love my country, but I'm not a flag waver. I felt like one for the 124-minute running time, though.

Bonus Bones: 0
A Super Dog or a Private Puppy would have been nice - even an evil Nazi mongrel, perhaps - but no go.

No comments:

Post a Comment