Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Bill Cunningham New York

3 Paws
Seen recently at Film Streams

"On The Street" is my favorite feature in the Sunday Styles section of the New York Times. I love looking at the crazy combos the big city folk come up with, wishing I had the attitude necessary to leave the house dressed like that. As soon as I saw the trailer for this documentary, I couldn't wait to get a glimpse of the life of Bill Cunningham, the man behind the photos. Be careful what you wish for.

Although I have a soft spot in my heart for all eccentrics, I wasn't prepared for the concern I now felt for this elderly stranger I'd just gotten to know. Is he going to get hit by a speeding taxi while pedaling to his next assignment? Is he adjusting to life after being removed from his long-time residence in a Carnegie Hall studio with no kitchen or bathroom? Has fashion been enough?

I wish I owned one of his hats.

Bonus Bones: 2
Look for the black one on the street early on and the lounging one in the background of one of the interviewee settings. The lounger makes several appearances.

No comments:

Post a Comment