Sunday, February 20, 2011

Barney's Version

3 Paws
Seen Feb. 18 @ AMC Oakview Plaza 24

This is an odd little movie that's hard to pidgeonhole. Once I stopped trying to figure out what I was watching, I was totally sucked in by Paul Giamatti's performance. If you really love (or loved) your dad, despite any shortcomings you think he may have (or have had), you'll be moved by the depth of Barney's love for his father, played by Dustin Hoffman in one of his best supporting roles to date. Fans of the television show "Felicity" (come on, I admit it, and I know there are others out there like me) may recognize Boogie - played by Scott Speedman - as an older, drugged out version of Ben, the guy Felicity follows to NYC to college. I'll pretty much follow Giamatti down any film road he takes, but I'd really like him to be a ruthless badass some day soon.


Bonus Bones: 3
Three dogs make the briefest of street appearances, one when Barney picks up a strung-out Boogie in the city before the two head for Barney's country house so Boogie can dry out, and two when Barney and Miriam are enjoying a walk through Central Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment