Saturday, February 5, 2011

127 Hours

3 Paws
Seen Feb. 4 at Aksarben Cinema

I try to avoid gore at all costs, in life and in the theater. That's why, despite how much I like the work of James Franco, I passed on seeing this film right away when it came out. Peer pressure and a bunch of Oscar nominations eventually changed my mind, and I convinced myself I could cover my face with my hands when it came time for Aron Ralston to, well, you know.

Ooof. I can't say I enjoyed it, but I'm glad I went. Interestingly enough, I was more creeped out by the claustrophobic nature of the canyon walls than I was by the amputation itself. Franco did Ralston proud, especially in the sequences where he's filming 'goodbye and thank you' messages for his family and friends. If I ever go hiking in Moab, I'm taking an engineer with me.

Bonus Bones: 0
Plenty of desert critters, but not a dog to be found. Strange - doesn't every outdoor type from Colorado have a four-footed friend to share adventures with?

No comments:

Post a Comment