Wednesday, October 10, 2012

End of Watch

2 Paws
Seen recently at Aksarben Cinema

This one's a bit of a gorefest, so be forewarned.

There's something sincere about Jake Gyllenhaal's performances, and his turn as a cruiser cop on the mean streets of L.A. is exactly that. I liked watching the daily grind of his relationship with fellow officer and partner Michael Pena - it makes you realize that cops are people as well as badges. I also liked seeing Ugly Betty (America Ferrera) in blues instead of braces, even though her role is a small one and her partner couldn't act her way out of a wet paper bag.

I didn't like the storyline at first - is coordination between different law enforcement agencies (as to who's going after who) really that bad in 2012? Then, the very next day, I heard a story on NPR about a Mexican drug cartel - creepy. I don't think I want to know any more.

Bonus Bones: 5
I couldn't count all the junkyard dogs that crop up during the pivotal scene - it's too dark - but you sure can hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment