Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Intouchables

3 Paws
Seen recently at the Dundee Theatre (still musty, but not for long)

Bad title, best movie I've seen this year to date.

It starts with a car chase, but as soon as Driss (Omar Sy) cranks up a little Earth, Wind and Fire, I know everything's going to be okay. The subject matter is tough - an incredibly wealthy French aristocrat (Francois Cluzet) hires a burly street tough to be his round-the-clock caretaker after an accident renders him a paraplegic.

Directors Olivier Nakache and Eric Toledano somehow manage to avoid manipulating the viewer's emotions with an almost clinical treatment of the situation, coupled with wit, restraint and a keen eye for editing - every scene says a lot, oftentimes with little dialogue. 

Cluzet (Philippe), who looks a little like a French Dustin Hoffman, turns in an Oscar worthy performance - if he doesn't get his half of this buddy movie right, the whole thing heads straight for sappy town. 

Bonus Bones: 0
I was so into this one that I almost forgot to keep track, but I came to my senses in time - no dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment