Monday, August 27, 2012

Ruby Sparks

3 Paws
Seen recently at AMC Oakview Plaza 24

I love movies about writers. They don't spend energy trying to cover up their frailties, and watching them worry their way through scene after scene somehow soothes my entire being - like Xanex in celluloid form.

Paul Dano's Calvin is one of these writers. He's troubled and self-absorbed and way too smart for his own good. It's a good thing he's got one of the cutest dogs I've ever seen to help shore up his shortcomings. The supporting cast (Annette Bening, Antonio Banderas, Elliott Gould and Steve Coogan) is used sparingly and beautifully. But the film's real gem is Ruby herself, played by Zoe Kazan, Dano's real-life girlfriend and the granddaughter of Elia Kazan.

I didn't recognize Kazan, so I googled her as soon as I got home. Her IMDb profile shows that she's been pretty busy with small film and television roles the past few years. She also wrote the script, which is warm, funny and unexpected. I think everyone is going to recognize her soon.

Bonus Bones: 10
Oscar, who plays Scotty, definitely needs his own Twitter account.

No comments:

Post a Comment