Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Moneyball

2 Paws
Seen recently at Aksarben Cinema

When did Brad Pitt turn into Robert Redford?

I'm not obsessed with Mr. Jolie and his brood (although it seems many are), so I don't track his every move. Thinking back, the last film I really liked him in was 1992's A River Runs Through It, which was directed by - hmmmm - Robert Redford.

As baseball gm Billy Beane, Pitt's contemplative moments on screen - especially when he looks to the side - are quintessential Redford (think Three Days of the Condor or Jeremiah Johnson). I was so distracted by the similarity that it interfered with my enjoyment of the film, which tells a great story and features a sweet performance by Kerris Dorsey (Casey Beane).

If I were calling it from behind the plate: the lame performances by the veteran scouting squad, strike one; the flashback overkill (we get it, already), strike two; and that damn visor, strike three.

Bonus Bones: 0
We're in the midst of a dog drought re: recent releases. I may have to settle for a tailless dolphin if things don't change soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment