Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Buck

2 Paws
Seen recently at the Dundee Theatre (still musty, still open)

Fascinating subject matter, faulty execution.

If there are any Robert Redford fans still alive out there (we're getting pretty long in the tooth, as is Bob, who was interviewed for this documentary), this is the story of 'Buckshot' Brannaman, the real horse whisperer. Traumatized by a violent father during his early childhood years, Buck uses his pain to become an extraordinary horseman, one whose only training tools are his touch and a pair of flag sticks.

I think I would have appreciated this one more if I knew anything about horses. But I don't, so Buck's Vulcan mind meld tactics with his equine brethren were somewhat lost on me. I wonder if the horse people in the crowd were in awe of what they were seeing - I spotted one cowboy hat, several pairs of boots and some pretty big belt buckles in the lobby before finding a seat.

Spoiler alert: there is no whispering.

Bonus Bones: 3
Buck's wife - who is introduced pretty far into the film - has three dogs who get a few moments of screen time, but not many. I expected more from a horse guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment