Friday, July 26, 2013

20 Feet from Stardom

2 Paws
Seen recently at Film Streams

When I was 10, I wanted to be Diana Ross. I would go on to participate in "swing choir" and my high school's annual spring musical, but it was apparent I didn't have the talent to make that happen. But talent, it turns out, isn't always a guarantee of success.

This documentary, which runs a bit too long (like some encores), takes a look at the life of a backup singer. It features those who made it (Sheryl Crow), those who cleaned toilets for a time (Darlene Love) and those who ended up teaching Spanish after a youth spent grinding on Mick Jagger (Claudia Lennear). It also follows a backup with big dreams on her way up (Judith Hill), but that's where I got a little bored.

The best moments are when Merry Clayton recounts the story of being rousted out of bed and hustled to a studio for backup duties on "Gimme Shelter." I've been singing "rape, murder, it's just a shot away" for days now.

Bonus Bones: 0
I guess their lifestyles aren't suited for dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment