Monday, April 22, 2013

Oz the Great and Powerful

2 Paws
Seen recently at Aksarben Cinema

I'm not sure exposing young children to flying monkeys and a melting witch is a good idea. In fact, I hold it partially responsible for the delicate state of my psyche today. There's something about the original, though, that draws me to it almost every damn time it's on tv - I can pretty much sing every song and recite an embarrassing number of lines (it's the original Rocky Horror Picture Show).

So I started to wonder - while being pounded by the Great and Powerful's mammoth advertising budget - could the 2013 offering deliver on the same scale? Nope, not even close.

It has its moments, though, thanks to James Franco's endearing performance as the con man turned wizard and the amazing facial animation of his flying monkey sidekick (Zach Braff). The evil witches, on the other hand, could have turned it up a notch - Margaret Hamilton would have kicked their wicked butts.

Bonus Bones: 0
No Toto this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment