Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Silver Linings Playbook

3 Paws
Seen recently at Aksarben Cinema

Let's get right to it - this is the best film I saw in 2012.

Okay, so I have more than a passing interest in mental illness. And I like movies that don't require earplugs or funny glasses. And I'm a sucker for a happy ending. But even if you set all of that aside, I dare you to sit through this one and not feel better leaving the theatre than when you entered it.

It's surprising. It's funny. It's full of flawed characters. It makes your throat tighten and your eyes wet. It has an amazing ensemble cast (Robert De Niro will tear your heart out during the bedside scene, Bradley Cooper is almost unrecognizable as the struggling Pat and the 22-year-old Jennifer Lawrence must have an old soul). It even makes a Giants fan (me) root for the Eagles (at least temporarily).

It doesn't pretend to have all the answers, but sometimes, just trying your very best is enough.

Bonus Bones: 3
I think I counted three dogs in the trick or treat/running scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment