Wednesday, December 26, 2012

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

2 Paws
Seen recently at Aksarben Cinema

Too much Orc, not enough charm.

I'm not obsessed with J.R.R. Tolkien's tales of fantasy, but I did manage to read The Hobbit and rather enjoyed it. Peter Jackson's take on the classic - at least the first installment of it - is a bit of a yawner. I've never been a fan of slimy, brutish creatures with bad teeth and even worse manners, and their antics dominated the action.

Martin Freeman makes a charming Bilbo Baggins, and there's a searing fierceness in Richard Armitage's Thorin Oakenshield, the exiled Dwarf king. But neither gets much of a chance to endear themselves to the audience, which is the best part of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I also prefer Gandalf the White to Gandalf the Grey, at least in terms of his fashion sense. Maybe the second one will be better.

Bonus Bones: 0
I guess there were no dogs in Middle-earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment