Monday, July 2, 2012

First Position

3 Paws
Seen recently at the Dundee Theatre (still musty, but not for long)

I'm a sucker for a dance movie, particularly if it involves tights and tutus. Grace, power and discipline have always eluded me, so I'm fascinated by those who can harness all three to create something magical for others to experience.

This documentary, which follows six dancers from around the world who compete in the Youth America Grand Prix, is fast-paced, honest and insightful. I have no idea how kids that age deal with that amount of pressure, where five minutes on stage can impact the direction your life will take from there on out. And although the actual dance sequences are fun to watch, the family relationships behind each dancer - some wonderful, some cringeworthy - take center stage.

The best part? Things turn out pretty well for the one I was rooting for the most.

Bonus Bones: 4
I think I counted four dogs among the families of the six dancers, but they didn't get a lot of screen time.

No comments:

Post a Comment