Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Monsieur Lazhar

3 Paws
Seen recently at Film Streams

Thank goodness for the Oscars. Otherwise, this 2012 best foreign language film of the year nominee (Canada) probably wouldn't have made it to a theatre screen in the Big O.

I want to take Bachir Lazhar (Mohamed Fellag) to dinner. I want to ask him how he had the courage to show up at the school that day and apply for the teaching position. I want to ask him how he could be so generous of spirit with others while so immersed in his own unthinkable circumstances. 

I want to ask director Philippe Farlardeau where he found his child actors. I want him to tell me that when he yelled 'cut,' they ran around like crazy and threw spitballs and annoyed all the adults on set. I want to ask him if Montreal is as multicultural as it appears in his film.

I want to learn more about Algeria. I want today's educational system to loosen some of its form and politics so teachers can care about their students (in an appropriate manner, of course) without fear of recourse. I want to see more films with this one's heart.

Bonus Bones: 0
No dogs, neither Canadian nor Algerian.

No comments:

Post a Comment