Saturday, February 25, 2012

2012 Oscar Nominated Shorts: Live Action

2.2 Paws
Seen recently at Film Streams

Watching the Oscar-nominated live action short films has become an annual tradition in our household, right before the big show itself. This year's offerings were a mixed bag - I loved two, two were "eh" and one I detested (this accounts for the odd Paw rating).

The Shore (31 minutes, English/Gaelic)
Aye, The Troubles. Perhaps I was unduly influenced by the Irish part of my heritage, but this one got me right in the heart. It skillfully mixes pain with comedy, and the haunting beauty of northern Ireland that tourists are told to avoid is on full display.

Raju (24 minutes, English/German)
Oooooh, this one grabs you at the very beginning and holds on tight until the very end. German actor Wotan Wilke Mohring mesmerizes as the newly minted father who is faced with an unthinkable decision. I'd like to see more of him, Hollywood.

Time Freak (11 minutes, English)
If you're the neurotic type (as I am), you will probably relate to this kind-of-funny time machine saga, but it reminded me of something you might see on an old episode of "The Electric Company."

Pentecost (11 minutes, English)
The Catholics in the audience roared at the antics of the main character, a football-obsessed altar boy with the face of an angel. It's too bad this type of behavior isn't the church's biggest problem.

Tuba Atlantic (25 minutes, Norwegian)
Remind me never to visit Norway - I just don't get the humor. I hope a flock of seagulls hunts director Hallvar Witzo down and showers him with a special gift.

Bonus Bones: 1
A street dog makes a brief appearance in Raju - that's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment