Friday, November 18, 2011

The Adventures of Prince Achmed

3 Paws
Seen recently at Film Streams

I wish I had met Prince Achmed when I was younger.

This 1926 marvel from Lotte Reiniger, part of a local Silents in Concert series at one of Omaha's independent cinemas, is the oldest surviving animated feature film (at least that's what Wikipedia tells me). Wikipedia also explains how the film was made - it features a silhouette animation technique invented by the director that involves manipulating cardboard cutouts and thin sheets of lead under a camera.

It has everything a kid could want - faraway lands, fantastical creatures and a happy ending. The adult in me, which surfaces from time to time, was drawn to the warmth of its color tinting, the delicate beauty of its intricately garbed characters and the simplicity of its story telling structure.

The best part of the experience for me? The witch saves the day.

Bonus Bones: 0
No dogs, but the flying horse - complete with up and down levers - was pretty satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment