Saturday, June 11, 2011

Midnight in Paris

2.5 Paws
Seen recently at Rave Motion Pictures Westroads 14

Thank you, Owen Wilson, for making a movie that made me like you as an actor again. Thank you, Paris, for being a cinematic showstopper (it looked a lot different on screen than it did the time we got off the train there, left the station in search of our 'tour guide' and saw a woman holding her baby over a sewer grate to, well, pee). Thank you, costume designer whose name I do not know, who must have had a blast and a generous wardrobe budget. Thank you, Woody Allen, for not starring in your own film and for bringing to life an impressive collection of the world's all-time great artists and writers (all of whom seemed to have a hell-bent penchant for partying.....hmmmmm). Thank you, Adrien Brody, for your hysterical turn as Salvador Dali - I'll never think of the rhinoceros the same way again.

Thank you, most of all, to the idea embedded in the script. As Dorothy so eloquently said from her Kansas sickbed: "If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own backyard, because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with. Is that right?"

Bonus Bones: 5
Look quickly for a big brown one in the opening credits and a Two Face black/white one in the restaurant scene. Gotta love them French.

No comments:

Post a Comment